We Can Fly!

>> Wednesday 17 June 2009

I have never seen big ducks fly until recently. I mean, really fly high in the sky and not just hop for 50 m away or up to the tree.




Mallard ducks are resident to many of the lakes, canals and rivers in Dublin. I am living right next to the Grand Canal and have strolled up and down the canal countless times. Water levels differ a few meters after each lock and the canal leads to the open sea. I often wondered how do the mallards get upstream. Are there actually people rescuing at the downstream of the canal and transport them upstream; and there goes the loop. Silly thought I had, hadn't I? Haha!


And mallards can fly! I first saw it last month and my puzzle was solved. Hehe!


But I was still curious of my other mystery - what about the big swans which also resident to the canals and rivers?


Swans are such a gracious creature and it's so relaxing to just see them swimming along the canal. I was getting really up close within 1 m while taking these photos. I was photographing her cautiously while she stared at me curiously. Haha!


She was flexing her powerful wings. I hoped she wasn't hinting me to go away. Hehe!


I actually spent a good half an hour 'dating' her on this occasion, observing her sunbathing by the canal bank on a sunny afternoon. Probably feeling annoyed being photographed after a long while, she dived into the water and cruised away from me. :(




Several weeks ago while walking along the canal, I heard a loud flapping noise behind me. I turned over and surprisingly, saw two huge swans flying over and crashed onto the water. Bemused and relief, now I need not feeling regret for not rescuing them downstream. ;p


These pigeons were annoying and fighting for some coverage while I was photographing the swan. I know you can fly okay, no doubt about it!

0 comments: