The Great Synagogue of Budapest

>> Friday 5 June 2009

I've been interested in Jewish history and culture as well as the development of the state of Israel since a couple of years ago. Being able to visit a synagogue was quite an excitement to me.

In Budapest, we visited the Great Synagogue at Dohany Street, which is the largest synagogue in world second only to the Temple Emanu-El in New York.




The synagogue was built in Moorish style in 19th century and could seat up to 3000 people at a time. I've seen many Romanesque, Renaissance, gothic, baroque and Art Nouvea architectures by now but this was my first time seeing Moorish style. It was based chiefly on Moorish models from North Africa and Spain.


I understand there are many Jewish customs and traditions to be observed, especially among the Orthodox Jews at other countries. I was cautious during my visit so as not to offend the people. I was glad we took a guided tour. The local Jewish tour guide explained patiently the history of the synagogue and the Jewish culture to us.


When I first set my foot into the great synagogue, I was immediately handed a kippah. A kippah is a thin, slightly-rounded skullcap traditionally worn at all times by observant Jewish men. It's a practice to show respect and reverence to God. I had to put on the kippah inside, to show respect and reverence. :) It was rather awkward initially; Siew Leng was giggling at my new headgear! And when I queried our tour guide the meaning of wearing it, the other 2 tourists on guided tour with us bursted into laughter as well. I don't think it was a funny question, do I?! ;) You'll see a photo of kippah later.


One of the most recognised symbols of Jewish identity and Judaism is the Star of David. It's in the shape of a hexagram and these symbols are all over the place inside and outside of the synagogue. This huge Star of David was displayed prominently above the main altar.




The interiors are simply impressive.


The synagogue complex consists of the Great Synagogue, Jewish Musuem, Heroes' Temple, Jewish Cemetary and Memorial. The Heroes' Temple is topped with a dome with a 250 seat capacity. It hosts regular religious services on weekdays during winter time. Spot the Star of David? :)




Even shadows couldn't escape the symbolism of the Star! ;)




Traditionally Jewish cemeteries shouldn't be located within the house of prayer. This was the only exceptional case where a mass graveyard is located within the synagogue complex. No thanks to the tragic events of World War II where 2000 Jews were killed at this Jewish Ghetto.


It's eerie to observe that all of the deceased year were 1945!


This is the kippah I mentioned earlier. You know what it's now, and could imagine how I look like then. ;p I'm not posting my photo with a white kippah here.


Jewish Musuem, which houses many Jewish ritual objects, relics and artifacts.




That's a Tanakh which includes the Torah! Tanakh is Hebrew Bible while Torah consists of the Five Books of Moses. This piece of scroll seems to be rather mysterious to me, and the Hebrew writings are even more confusing. Hehe!


It was coincidentally the day of Passover on our visit, which commemorates the Hebrews escape from enslavement in Egypt thousands of year ago.

The synagogue complex was closing earlier than usual to celebrate Passover. I am glad I made the trip to the Great Synagogue. :)

0 comments: