Vienna Easter Markets

>> Friday 22 May 2009

It was Easter during our visit to Vienna. I've never been to any Easter market and in fact I didn't know markets are usually organised during this season in some European countries to celebrate Easter. So I thought we should pay a visit to at least one of the more popular Easter markets in Vienna. We visited three Easter markets eventually. Hehe. ;)


The first we stumbled upon was Am Hof Easter Market in the city centre. It was morning before lunch and was still rather quiet. There were only a handful of people patronising the stalls. What impressed most was not the handicrafts but this talented harp player. The sound of the harp was so soothing. :)


I was looking forward to some merchants selling Viennese sausages and other Easter snacks. There was no food stall. Only handicrafts, souvenirs and some antics were being sold at Am Hof.


Well, I think the biggest reward was meeting this pretty Viennese girl. :p With permission, she gently posed for me for a few shots. I was more eager than ever to visit more Easter markets! :p




Freyung Easter Market was just a short walking distance away from Am Hof. Yay! I smelt sausages. I knew this is where we were going to have our light lunch. Hehe. Not only that, there were stalls selling Viennese wines too. I couldn't wait to taste a glass of Gruner Veltliner, a local white wine. ;)


Even dogs joint the crowd and had fun at the festival. By the way, Vienna people love dogs so much that we were even taking our Metro train rides with dog beside.


It's expected that numerous beautiful and traditional easter decorations - easter eggs in all variations, easter candles, palm leaves, flowers, stoneware, ceramics, eggs in different sizes, toys and handcraft from all over Austria - would on sale at every Easter markets. This beautiful woman sold some scarf and tie accessories.




Easter eggs in various decorations and colours. I've seen Easter eggs before but I never knew what's the meaning of it until this trip. Egg is a symbol of rebirth or resurrection and traditionally, Easter eggs are often hidden, allegedly by Easter Bunny, for children to find on Easter morning.

I've yet to come across Easter eggs in actual egg shell in Dublin. But chocolate eggs were plenty being sold in all major department stores.


A cheese seller was slicing a wheel of cheese into pieces for sale. He seemed to be really 'pro'. Hehe.


Schonbrunn Palace Easter Market was located right in front of the palace itself surrounded by beautiful baroque architectures. The set up was pretty similar to the other two markets which we visited earlier that day. We didn't spend much time here and just strolled around briefly. :)


These eggs were made in various stones and marble.


The cookies and pastries looked rather delicious. Hehe. We had a pretzel before heading off to visit the palace.


Traditional wooden puppets.


Visiting the Easter markets reminded me of our own pasar malam in Malaysia. I've not been to any pasar malam for more than 2 years now and I'm really missing it. :)

0 comments: