Vienna Naschmarkt

>> Thursday 28 May 2009

Naschmarkt is Vienna's most famous central market. The market is about 1.5km long and existed since 16th century. Fresh fruits and vegetable, exotic herbs and cheese from all around the world, breads, meats and seafood could be found here.




I made it a point to visit a local market whenever possible while visiting a city as I believe local markets reflect very much the way of life and culture of the people. While I was trying to take Siew Leng a photo, a friendly Viennese local pulled over to her for the shot and chatted slightly. The handsome stall owner happily joint in and posed too. :) And we didn't buy anything from him though. Oops. ;p






This stall sold a variety of pickled food and local delights. I was scouting in front of the store curious of what were being sold. The jovial lady kindly offered her assistance and asked "can I help you?" I politely replied "can I take your photo?" Hehe. She nodded and business dealt. ;p She's a lovely lady.




Frankly, we don't know what these spices are. I guess, SESAM = sesame? ;)


The name of this shop is Gegenbauer. It's a popular local shop selling vinegar in various flavours. They sell beer vinegar, drinking vinegar, fruit vinegar and wine vinegar. I never knew there are Apricot's, Blueberry's, and Tomato's vinegars!


Apart from the stalls mentioned, there are also a variety of restaurants selling foods from Asian, Middle Eastern, German, Spanish to American styles. We resorted to try some kebab and falafel.




I had a falafel and washed down with a pint of Viennese beer. :)

0 comments: